Review: 2005 Mercedes Benz C200 Kompressor

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Dhhawal, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

[​IMG]

Specifications:->
    Engine: 1.8L Supercharged In Line Four Cylinder
    Transmission: Automatic 5-Speed Triptronic
    Peak Power: 165hp
    Power terrain: Rear wheel drive
    Electronic Aids: ABS, EBD and ESP
    Crash Safety: Eight SRS Air Bags

This is a car which was bought for its brand value and the luxury aspect. I am not a Merc loyalist by any standard, but it's fair to say that this car has not disappointed. It has tan black leather interiors which are durable as well as easy to clean, which I will be doing often! It has a 8 way surround stereo which is good to listen to.

The Good Stuff: When i first drove it, i was expecting it to be heavy and dull spirited, but i was pleasantly taken by the surge of power and its maneouverability and its fabulous ride, not to mention its phenomenal air conditioning, the brakes are superb, and the five spoke alloys look well mated to the car, and its a highly capable highway cruiser. Informs you of everything wrong with it, even if its a parking bulb thats gone kaput. If you are good to it, it will return you decent mileage figures. Body rolls well in check when cornering.

The Bad Stuff: First off, this is not a cheap car to maintain which is the biggest minus, apart from that, rear leg room is at a premium, so is the boot space, the automatic tranny means you use the brake pedal quite often because there's no engine braking.

2. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

What about handling and cornering ?

Whats the mileage on one of these.

What are the thing to look for when you buy a used one ?

3. Dhillon

Dhillon Administrator Staff Member

^ yupp kitna deti hai.

btw nice review, thanks for sharing :)

4. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

@ rahul, its handling and ride is very well sorted out, not too hard so that you can feel each n every bump in the road nor too soft that it rolls around in the corners, on the limit tho, it does show its bulk..!

as far as mileage is concerned, the best i have ever got was 16km/l when i was on my way to Mount Abu(without the air con)
    Best Figure In City(Air Con) 11.5km/l
    Worst Figure In City(Air Con) 7.5km/l

One thing I wish to share here is...it gives the worst figures when its stuck in traffic. On the move, no matter how much you gas it, it returns decent figures.

When buying a used merc, main thing to be worried about are electrical niggles which are very expensive to fix. Look out for damage to the seats, tears/cuff marks in the upholstery are expensive to fix. Look for liquid leaks in the engine bay especally from the power steering pump, also make sure the air box mounts are'nt broken and that the channel between the intercooler and the airbox isn't damaged, if it is, then it indicates frontal impact of some kind..! And whatever you do, do not go in for the Air Matic suspension, the pump alone costs 1.5L, and thats excluding the labor.

5. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

@dhillon, its what we are here for bud...glad to contribute..! cheers..!

6. singh-a-lion

singh-a-lion Super Moderator

i lv u have dis one but in amg

7. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

C200 doesnt come in AMG im pretty sure do they?

Dhhawal bhai thanks for telling.

I heard about Electrical problems I ll share a story

8. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

yep, the c200 does come in amg trim...! i am actually thinking about putting a c20kit from carlsson, which includes a 15% overdrive pulley(crank) which will up the boost to 9.5 psi; and the power to 205hp; don't worry tho, when i do make a move, i'll put up a build thread as i am considering doing it myself..!

9. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

thats the best way ! do it yourself

10. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

Okay bro listen up
    I heard that mercs have problem with electricals
    did you get any?
    also same question to you regarding the spark plugs which ones do you have in them and does you car missfires?

11. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

well the generation that was previous to this did have a history of electrical problems, but this one touchwood hasn't had any, presently i have a bosch platinum series coil over plug set-up. It has quite a complex setup which makes sure it won't misfire, it has two antiknock sensors per cylinder and a combo setup of MAF and an MAP sensors(usually cars have one or the other), also the ECU is capable of delaying and advancing the timing of the spark along with variable valve timing. The ECU constanly measures the actual acceleration versus the demand acceleration my measuring the boost pressure in the manifold, so that combustion is optimum in all cases. Thats what the theory is anyway, but if i do encounter a problem..i will let you know...!

12. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

yeah i thought so .
    nice explanation bro

13. leone

leone New Member

The only problem i see with M-Benz is prices of its parts... real expensive comparing with ordinary Toyota