Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200, DDiS 320 and Hyundai Creta SX(O) CRDi

Discussion in 'Indian Automotive Scene' started by Notorious, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Notorious

Notorious Member Staff Member

1. Looks- The Creta wins hands down. Period!! But, the S-Cross is not boring or ugly looking in any way. It is marketed as a crossover, and is exactly what it is. Unlike the Creta which is a hatchback on heels(more on this in the Handling section). The S-Cross doesn't stand out in the crowd and this is be the biggest deal breaker for 90% of the people who are cancelling the DDiS 320 booking and going the Creta way. Creta appeals strongly to the heart in the first appearance and that is when 50% of the job is done.
    S-Cross-***
    Creta- ****
    But today I had decided that I will evaluate every single parameter before selecting one as my next car purchase.

2. Engine and NVH- I loved the way the S-Cross DDiS 320 behaved on highways and open roads. Stay above 2000rpm and it has more than enough torque to zip past any vehicle ahead of you. Creta obviously lacked this punch, but was adequate. The thing I loved in Creta was its refinement. I was with my family and they absolutely loved the noise insulation of the cabin. Dad commented that inside a cabin it was as refined as a Swift petrol!! S-Cross DDiS 320 had an audible clatter at idle but it was nowhere as bad as the Vento Diesel. NVH was palatable, not a deal breaker at all. The horrible JK Elanzo is also to be blamed-at 90kmph, approx 70% noise coming on the cemented road was the tyre noise. The Bridgestones on the Creta were superb in this regard.
    When in the non-turbo zone, both cars felt as good or as bad as each other. The turbo-lag feeling in the S-Cross gets amplified because turbo kicks in hard compared to Creta, which happens in a very linear way.
    Personally concerned, I loved the DDiS 320 more than the Hyundai's engine. The turbo kick is addictive, and I can happily sacrifice a bit of NVH for that smile which S-Cross brings to my face.
    S-Cross-*****
    Creta-****

3. Ride- At lower speeds, the Creta masks the road imperfections flawlessly. That's when majority of the TD's happen. But go any faster and the ride becomes bouncy and I dare say, a bit wallowy. The S-Cross feels a tad stiffer at lower speeds but above 40kmph and beyond, it irons out anything and everything and rides F-L-A-T. To be honest, I always loved the ride of the D-Segment European sedans, but could never consider them due to the horrible service in our city, but here, in S-Cross, I am getting that ride along with the Maruti peace of mind. The best of both worlds!!
    S-Cross-*****
    Creta- ***

4. Handling- As I was pushing the Creta north of 80kmph on a slightly curvy section of road, I was dreading the infamous Hyundai's boat ride quality. I almost vowed never to drive one after I drove the pre-facelift Verna in 2013. But here, I was in for a big surprise. I guess Creta is the best handling Hyundai after the Elite i20, despite its height and soft-suspension. Impressed!!! Steering was disappointing and was slightly numb, but was far better than the Verna's unit.
    But, the S-Cross had me floored. I think it handles with more poise than even the legendary Swift!! Every time I went through a corner, it begged to go faster. And this was happening with those horrible squeal-happy JK's. I can only imagine what it is capable of with some better rubber. Steering response, though not as good as the Europeans, was still leagues ahead of the Creta.
    S-Cross-*****
    Creta- ****

5. Interiors & practicality- I am a fan of black interiors and absolutely loathe the overdose of beige. None of the cars here feature an overdose of beige here. Fortunately enough, manufactures are understanding this and Hyundai came out with the Elantra and now Maruti gives a nice and sporty black interiors with the S-Cross. The design of the Creta feels more complicated and edgy while S-Cross keeps it simple yet elegant. The S-Cross lost some points here with the absence of the rear ac vents whereas the absence of the telescopic adjustment on the Creta resulted in not so perfect position for me.
    But where the Creta deal was closed for me, was in its rear space. After setting the driving position according to my preferences, I didn't have any space left behind. After owning some seriously cramped cars like the Swift, or my daily driver a 800, I don't want my passengers to complain when they are seated behind me. These complaints are justified when they are made in the 3 lac rupee hatchback, but not after spending 15 big ones!! Also I found the headline touching my head when I was seated in the rear seat. For reference I am 6ft 1 inch tall.
    No such problems in the S-Cross. While headroom in the back was just about adequate for me, legroom was generous and with the driver seat set according to my position, I still had 2 inches of space left.
    Also my mom felt claustrophobic in the Creta's rear, while S-Cross was a wee bit better in that regard. I believe the upward rising window line in the Creta is to be blamed here.
    I would advise prospective members to check out these things specially if you have tall members in the family.
    S-Cross-****
    Creta- ***

Pricing- The Creta top-end SX(o) retails for 14.6 lacs OTR Ranchi whereas the S-Cross 1.6 Alpha comes at 14.8 Lacs OTR Ranchi(with a good 25k discount). But if I buy S-Cross, I will need to invest atleast 60 thousand rupees for better rubber and alloys. So that takes the OTR pricing of S-Cross to Rs.15.4 lacs.
    I can consider the Zeta 1.6, but our family has a policy-For any product, go for the top-most model. Or else buy another car from a lower segment!! But it has to always be the top-end fully loaded version, so that no qualms are left for future pondering.
    Prices aside, the 1.6L S-Cross is THE car we would like to have, the thought of "WHAT Society thinks" be damned!!
    For now, we are left with the only options of increasing our budget. Initially we had fixed an upper limit of 13 lacs OTR, atleast that's what the RM had promised.

A special mention of the 1.3 DDiS- My parents would have bought the 1.3 Alpha, but the 1.6L has left us speechless. The 1.3L has no kick(Sorry if I am sounding like Salman Khan), but is more than adequate for every practical purpose. You will never feel that its underpowered,NEVER!! The 1.3 Alpha is 3 lacs cheaper with similar levels of kit, and with the refinement, relaxed nature and the better mileage, makes for a strong proposition.

For now, its a battle of head(1.3) vs the heart(1.6) as far as I am concerned.