Regular Fuel vs Premium Fuel

Discussion in 'General Maintenance' started by BHP, Apr 28, 2011.

1. BHP

BHP New Member

Are there any real benefits of using Premium petrol or diesel over regular fuel ?

What are the pros and cons ?

GTD likes this.
  2. GTD

GTD Super Moderator

Premium gas is worth it if you have the right car or Engine. For most of the people who only drive their cars to work. I dont think its worth it.

Most modern cars are designed to employ a specific compression ratio(in an engine fuel & air is mixed & compressed to produce power) a measure of how much room is available to the fuel when the piston is at the bottom and the top of the cylinder. This compression ratio—somewhere in the neighborhood of eight to one—tolerates lower octane fuels (such as regular gasoline, good old 87 octane) without knocking. The compression ratio is fixed by the designer of the engine.

Now where the premium fuel would be really worth it is performance or race cars. If you have modified your car with the sole purpose of performance then premium fuel is worth it as it burns more readily then the standard oil. Which means it can support the high compression ratio of performance engines. High-performance engines, such as those in some sports cars or older, heavier automobiles, often boast much higher compression ratios. These cars—for example, Mitsubishi Evo (the highest rated model in the Mitsubishi line)—require premium gasoline and will definitely knock without it.

Moral of the story

If it's your daily driver without any performance modifications. You are better of spending that money somewhere else.

If it's a performance car or modified tuner with high performance parts. I.e turbochargers etc. The premium fuel will help you get the best out of those parts and give you the best performance.

3. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

All the Forced induced aspiration cars needs to have a premium petrol

Such as a turbo charged or a supercharged

Higher the number of octane in the fuel , more CARBON value it has means the carbon will provide a slippery layer to the piston rings whilest in the combustion chamber and the piston will be able to move smoothly even after the turbo boost acting on the intake. This saves the engine wear and tear.

I use V-power 98 Octane in my skyline and 95 Octane in my Ford falcon

4. gagan_singh

gagan_singh Super Moderator

its worth it, if you get a new car and says it needs unleaded fuel. put in unleaded fuel. when they set up the air fuel ratios when making the car, they made it so its most efficient with that fuel. in Toronto we only have 94 at certain gas pumps. but with the new gas prices of $1.34L, most people are double minded.
    also premium gas will give you better KM/L. its up to you now if you got the money!! haha