Performance modifications

Discussion in 'Basic Guides' started by Codename.47, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

So lets talk about some performance mods that are so common on japanese cars.
    Before I go any further I'll try to post how does a Typical Japanese Turbo charged engine works:

‪TURBO MECHANISM‬‏ - YouTube

2. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

Now see the first picture below:

That is the mechanism of a basic turbo charger.

The exhaust gases - RED colored pipes are connected to a turbo. turbo is just like a fan enclosed in a apparatus which is connected to a compressor.When we press the accelrator Harder the turbo fans rotate and with that rotation the compressor rotates as well and starts compressing the normal air and then it is sent to an INTERCOOLER because after compression the air gets really hot and to cool it down the radiator looking thing is called Intercooler. The hot compressed air then circulates from that and by the time it reaches the intake manifold it cools down and enters in to the cylinder with high pressure . High pressure air means more fuel efficiently the fuel will get burnt and car will give better performance.

Please note the Exhaust gases RED ones rotate the turbine and leaves the system via exhaust where as compressor takes the air from Air filter of the car.

Attached Files:

3. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

So the performance mods are required in order to increase the power and efficiency of the car.

Firstly you will see people having a pod filters in their cars.
    pod filters are directly connected to the intake of the compressor . They are more ventilated then a normal air intake box. So thats why most of the turbo cars have a pod filter intake.

Attached Files:

4. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

Some cars have 2 turbos . its called Twin turbo setup or bi-turbo.

Normally V6/V8 engines have twin turbo setup in there however there is a bigger exception there A GT-R engine which is Straight 6 cylinder engine.

In these scenarios :
    a V6/V8 engine have 3/4 cylinder on each side of V shape. So a turbo is setup on left and same sized turbo on right they may share a same intercooler.

Attached Files:

5. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

how about the turbos which have different aspect ratios as with the bmw 4.4L v8 Biturbos, which has a small turbo for better response and a large turbo for extra power at high rpm..? do they also share an intercooler?

6. singh-a-lion

singh-a-lion Super Moderator

Nw i got sumthing in my mind. Thanks. So i can change air intake to gain more throtle response

7. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

Some do some dont. I am afraid am not aware of that setup btw.

8. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

its illegal to have a pod filter however if you make proper enclosure for it no one cares.

[​IMG]

9. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

hahaha..nice one..! but why are they illegal tho?

10. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

I dont know what makes them illegal because of the pods you car sounds like a turbine :p you can actualy feel the car sucking air.. it does this WOOOOOOSSSSSSSS sound hahah

11. singh-a-lion

Soo wht is legal way 4 it

12. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

veere enclose karna pena
    badda jehra launa pena tuahnu pod filter apni car nu and make sure you make enclosure for it.

ah dekho inj karo

FPV nu eda da karde ne munde

Attached Files:

13. singh-a-lion

ok ok i will go to mrt performace

14. gagan_singh

gagan_singh Super Moderator

im surprised at how many things are illegal in aussie. in canada its not recommended but its defiantly legal. u can do so much things to a car and cops can just piss u off about it by pulling u over but no ticket!!

15. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

is it na
    there is a limit here for everything

16. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

thats really over the top...doesn't make any sense whatsoever..!

17. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

i know having a pod enclosed :p

18. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

haha....the rebel within..!

19. skyline wala brar

skyline wala brar New Member

"how about the turbos which have different aspect ratios as with the bmw 4.4L v8 Biturbos, which has a small turbo for better response and a large turbo for extra power at high rpm..? do they also share an intercooler?"

Yea twin turbos share the same intercooler but their ecu maintains the flow of turbos like small turbo kicks in low rpms for take offs and bigger turbo kicks in mid range to delivery the power... Skyline Gtr's run on same setup as well..

And far as illegal mods go i recon cops hit hard in eastern states of Australia and on top of that every state has their own set of laws re: car mods..... In W.A i hav been stopped numerous times by cops over the years but no one says anything about intercooler, suspension, pods or HID's where as in Melbourne they give ya yellow stickers straightaway..lolz...poor buggers

20. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

yeah haha true brar veere
    well a GTR RB26DETT has the same twin turbos arent they.

yeah ECU maintains the flow. I didnt know about the small and large turbo good explanation thanks bro