Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VII Review :Rahul

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Codename.47, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of my friends bought a used Lancer Evo 7

Specs: 2 Litre turbo (Intercooled Top Mount)
    Transmission: 5 speed manual
    Drivetrain: All wheel drive
    Brakes: Brembo brakes
    Tyre: BBS alloys 18" wrapped in Michelin Rubber

The car was fully stock,nothing aftermarket except the muffler, TEIN coilovers and the Sony headunit.

Ride Quality

The Ride as you expect bit bumpy because of stiff suspension it has. The car has the grudge of the turbo and the exhaust is bit loud too.
    Recaro seats - Not so comfortable

Performance

The car features a Turbo charged 2 Litre standard engine that has about 165 Kilowatts distributed to the 4 wheels of the car using a Manual transmission. 0-100 KMPH is quiet fast it is somewhere between 5-6 seconds. 1st gear goes upto 60 KMPH and I must say 2nd gear carrys a lot of potential and that takes the car to astonishing 110 kmph with no problems.

The engine it has is a high revving engine means if your driving the car slower at about 60 kmph , you cannot use the 4th gear it starts to stall.

Handling

All wheel drive system in the car is the highlight of the car. The car is so quick on the corners that you don't have to worry about slowing doing at sharp bends the car just cuts through the edges.
    Car has three modes in it Tarmac, Gravel and snow.
    Traction control works accordingly with different values so be wise when you chose one.
    I would give 9 out of 10 for handling , I can say one of the finest rides I have ever driven.

Mileage

2 Litre engine turbo, you must be thinking its just 2 litre and must be economical. I will say it depends.

If you push the car harder and kick in the turbo whilest on the road this thing is going to drink the juice like a v8 beast.

Drawbacks:

-Bumpy ride
    -Interior isn't that great
    -Turning circle is big (unless you drift like a pro)
    -Steering is bit heavy (compared to my skyline )
    -Stalls at 4th-5th gear and seems bit underpowered at some stages

2. singh-a-lion

singh-a-lion Super Moderator

Evoo is gud. Cheap sport. I heard it beats ferrari in handling on corners????

3. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

it sure can....but it comes at the price of its ride, and stiff chassis not to mention its huge turbo lag, but you can't go faster for this kind of money

4. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

its fast enough for what he paid for

paid abt 17-18K

handling is 8 out of 10 and on the same scale skyline goes at 7

performance as Dhhawal said it has big turbo lag for sure since its stock, you can feel gear change 1 st gear 60 kmph and then speed drops and then it picks up to 100 kmph .. there is a need of bit extra
    on that I would rate 7 where as for my skyline that particular i had was somewhere 8.5 on the same scale.

5. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

IF it was me , I would have bought a Skyline R33 GT-R for same price tag

6. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

that is a much better choice...but comparing a brand new skyline with a brand new evo(even at that time), even the skyline's of the same year as the evo will be more expensive

7. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

Not really bro
    It depends

Evos 7-8's are over priced since they are 99-2002 models
    you end up paying about 17-18K for it
    and in 99 they introduced Skylines R34 GTST and GTR's

GTST go for about 12-16 K
    GTR goes for 25K+

8. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

you're talking about resale values right? what about the retail prices when they were sold in 99'?

9. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

Retails were expensive bro .
    When I got my skyline R33 repaired that guy told me that back in 2000 he used to sell those 96 model GTST's over 25K

10. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

see what i mean? skylines were tuner fav for a reason bro..they were cheap to buy and readily modifiable, the evo on the other hand was already maxed out..you couldn't eke out any more power from it

11. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

yeah i guess your right

Evos are just over rated
    subaru wrx is slightly better then evo cuz of their newer 2.5L engine . I wonder why Evos didnt upgrade the engine

12. insane.nick

insane.nick New Member

awesome dude, lancer looks cool in yellow

13. GTD

GTD Super Moderator

Evo's are not overrated bro. Sti might outrun it in the straight line but evo will still outhandle it in the corners.

14. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

driven both man .
    evos lighter but WRX feels more lighter then evo

15. GTD

GTD Super Moderator

16. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

yeah i agree on that
    new evos are equipped with flip padel gear box and the gear change is more smoother and quicker then subaru's

17. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

hmm..not to get into the thick of this argument, the sti has a boxer engine so it has a better lower end(higher flat torque band) so people prefer its drivability, but the evo's dynamics are quite some many shades better while its top end performance is unmatched by the sti, personally i prefer the sti...i like the unconventional growl from its engine..

18. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

^^ exactly
    the sound of the boxer engine is what differentiates it from all the cars on the road

19. RN Gozon

RN Gozon New Member

Woow. Wait a minute. Skyline cheap to buy?? What Skyline are we talking about n.a? four door? 1990? They are far from cheap for their corresponding year. And always remember skylines have many variants. The GT-R variant is definitely not cheap!

In Japan, rule of thumb is that the stock GT-R always costs twice as a stock evo of the same year. And heck GT-R parts are most of the time more expensive than any other JDM sportscar. GT-R tax maybe? Evo on the other hand is the more practical one since parts are cheaper than the GT-R even oem! I have experienced with both cars. And they give you fun in different aspects. GT-R w/ its RB26 twin snails is more of a highway terror w/ good handling, power is mid to high. While the Evo CT9As is a point to shoot machinery, delivers power low to mid.

I use the GT-R on weekends since I enjoy it more with no traffic and well because its a 2 door sportscar. The Evo can be used as daily drive though with its more sedan 4 door body, but I don't daily it... But it sees more rush hour traffic than the GT-R . ;)

20. aa3

aa3 Super Moderator

I just love the Evo. I am feeling like !@#$%^&*() [out of words]. I give this evo a complete thumbsup. Thanks and thanks a lot for the review.