i1 Super Series

Discussion in 'Motor Sports' started by Dhillon, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Dhillon

Dhillon Administrator Staff Member

Bangalore-based Machdar Motorsports has announced the launch of a car racing championship to be called i1 Super Series.

The i1 Super Series will follow IPL format of 9 cities with each from different metropolitan cities to make up a team. To be sold by invitation, the teams will not be auctioned. The base price for each team is set at $5 million. Apart from industrialists, Bollywood and cricket stars, Cricketers Sachin Tendulkar and Yuvraj Singh have been approached to buy teams. Meanwhile, Sachin Tendulkar has been said to be involved in the whole thing as an advisor and Brand ambassador.

With two cars allotted to each of the 9 teams, each team will have two drivers of which one will be Indian and the other will be from the international racing scene. Former and current Formula One drivers are speculated to be approached to fill up the space of International drivers. Expect names like Mika Hakkinen, Giancarlo Fisichella and Ralf Schumacher to be a part of this motorsport event.

The races will be held across seven cities including New Delhi, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Dubai, Kuala Lumpur, Pattaya and Chennai. With the race calendar already finalised, the first event will be held at the new Buddh international racing circuit in Delhi o the 18th of December 2011.

The cars to be used in the series will be the Radical SR3, which is track based car manufactured in the UK. These 570kg track vehicles are powered by engines ranging from 1340cc to 1500cc which can touch the top speeds of 250kph and do a 0-100 sprint in 3.1 seconds.

Each racing weekend will have qualifying race followed by two races. The wining team will be awarded total prize money of $2 million (Rs. 10 crore approx) apart from the championship title.

High Points:

- i1 Super Series will have 9 teams from 9 different metropolitan cities in India.

- Drivers will be selected on invitation basis only and one cannot apply to race in this championship.

- Each team will have two drivers, one of which will be an international driver and the other shall be an Indian driver with national and international experience.

- The series shall take place across 7 cities including New Delhi, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Dubai, Kuala Lumpur, Pataya and Chennai.

- Each weekend will have 1 qualifying session and 2 races making it a total of 14 races in the championship. Race length shall not be too long.

- Each team will use the Radical SR3 race car, specs of which were not disclosed.

- The car weighs 570 kgs, 0-100 kmph @ 3 seconds, Top speed = 250 kmph.

- Information about the total investment, investors and potentials teams was not disclosed.

- Although the tyre supplier has been kept a secret, the display car sported tyres supplied by Dunlop (200 / 580 R15s).

- Winning amount is 2 million US dollars per series.

- There are 7 awards for drivers with fastest laps.

Schedule

Delhi - December 18, 2011
    Abu Dhabi – January 8, 2012
    Doha – January 15, 2012
    Dubai - January 22, 2012
    Kuala Lumpur – February 5, 2012
    Pattaya – February 12, 2012
    Chennai – February 15, 2012

I1 Super Series

Attached Files:

2. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

serious stuff...the radical is one of the best track day cars..!