i1 Super Series cancelled

Discussion in 'Motor Sports' started by Dhillon, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Dhillon

Dhillon Administrator Staff Member

The opening season of the much hyped Indian racing event, i1 Super Series, has been put off till next year. According to the organisers, Machdar Motorsports, the racing league had to be cancelled due to the unavailability of drivers for the revised calendar.

i1 Super Series could attract many credible international drivers like Jacques Villeneuve, Giancarlo Fisichella and Vitantonio Liuzzi as it was to be held in the off-season of the international racing calendar. However, the dates were revised thrice and the calendar extended into February and March when the international season begins, making it difficult for many drivers due to their other commitments.

The new dates for 2013 calendar have not been disclosed yet, but are expected to be in the same period as originally planned for 2012. The organisers were actually struggling to get to the project running and a year’s time for planning and marketing will certainly help them execute better.

2. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

i agree...but a lot of that had to do with the fact that elections were being held in UP and the Budhh International Circuit wasn't available, and the drivers weren't too keen on postponing the season since there were availability issues, but mostly it also has to do with the fact that only five teams have been sold uptil now, sponsorship is a bit of a worry, but i am really looking forward to the i1, it should give indian motorsports a gigantic push...