Hoon Laws-Australia

Discussion in 'International Automotive Scene' started by Codename.47, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

Police welcome new hoon laws

Amendments to the Road Safety Amendment (Hoon Driving) Act come into effect on Friday, 1 July.

[​IMG]

From 1 July, 2011 police will have the power to immediately impound hoon vehicles for 30 days, a significant increase on the current two day period.

Repeat offenders will also face court where they risk losing their vehicle for a further three months, with a minimum 45 days, or having their vehicle seized permanently.

The news gets worse for dangerous drivers, with the range of hoon offences also increasing to include repeat drink, drug and unlicensed driving, as well as overloading a vehicle with passengers.

The top five Police Service Areas where hoon offences have occurred in the past five years are Hume, Brimbank, Bendigo, Whittlesea and Greater Dandenong.

Police analysis shows that the top suburbs where the hoon drivers live are St Albans, Werribee, Hoppers Crossing, Mill Park and Craigieburn.

Since hoon laws were introduced in 2006:

Police have impounded more than 14,500 vehicles.
    About 96 per cent of hoon offenders are male.
    About 41 per cent of hoon offenders are aged 18 to 21; 24 per cent are aged 22 to 25; almost 13 per cent are aged 26 to 29.
    The 30 to 39 year old age group are the fastest growing group for hoon offenders, increasing from 11 per cent of offenders is 2006 to 17 per cent of offenders in 2011.
    More than 45 per cent of hoon offenders are full licensed drivers, with probationary drivers making up 38 per cent of offenders.
    Excessive speed is the most common offence (5474 offences), followed by improper use of a motor vehicle (5013 offences).

We are also calling on the community to get behind this campaign. If you see hoon or dangerous driver behaviour, call the Hoon Hotline on 1800 333 000 or report it online at CSA Victoria :: Home

2. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

wow...thats some interesting piece of factoid..! i wonder if they can impose this in dlehi :p

3. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

haha in here there was this kid in commodore sleeping in middle of the road with car parked on the intersection. car got impounded license was suspeneded already so they cancelled it for next 2 years :p

4. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

excellent...i think they should impose this law here too..i have auntijies in their huge acars parked at obtuse angles talking to sabziwalas and obtructing traffic flow by occupying two thirds of the road, and when you glare at them...they give you the stink eye..! believe me man...i am a strong guy...but i can't bare the stink eye of a 45year old woman who can barely look over the dash of her accord...!:D, this is the job for the highly corrupt and flexible traffic police...!