Difference between BHP and Torque

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dhillon, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Dhillon

Dhillon Administrator Staff Member

Can anyone explain in layman's terms the difference between BHP and Torque ?
    These two terms for rating engine power has always confused me :confused:

2. gagan_singh

gagan_singh Super Moderator

those 2 things are completely different. toque is the twisting action of something. and BHP stands for brake horse power. hp is basically the measure of power the engine makes. these are some stupid answers but that was the best i can do.

also there is WHP= wheel horse power, Crank horse power.

3. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

they r two very different ways of measuring power...brake horsepower is referred to the power developed at the crank by the engine, its roughly measures how many horses an engine can replace, its also measured in watts..however torque refers to the rotational force, like for example..consider a cieling fan, if you try to rotate it from the end of the blade rather than the middle...it'll require less force...i.e you have to apply less torque, thats also why you'll find less powerful(bhp) diesel vehicles outpacing thier petrol counterparts, especially when it comes to in gear acceleration, because they have more rotational force at the same engine speeds..!

they are inter related by a formula for one particular engine tho..!
    but every engine has its own characteristic power curve...thats determined by a whole lot of other factors such as combustion chamber design, direct injection..so on and so forth..!

4. Codename.47

Codename.47 Guest

good way of explaining Torque :p

Torque = i x Theeta :p

5. Dhillon

Dhillon Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Dhhawal, got some idea :)

6. Dhhawal

Dhhawal New Member

glad i could be of help :)